Wednesday 10 October 2018

Week 7 - Listening (Profession)


Teachers: Daniela, Alexandra, Johanna

Hi everyone! I am glad to be here again, this week was another one with great apprenticeship the focused skill was listening and the teachers were Daniela, Alexandra and Johanna. This was the second time for them presenting a class; it was not the same as other classes due to inconvenience of the raining weather and the lack of children despite that the class was given as usual.


What I like from the class: First the materials which was used was appropriated for the topic colorful attractive with balloons and great worksheets with a well level of difficulty for children to complete them. Even though there were no children, we were the students who received the class from the three girls; we were closer than usual to see the development of the three teachers. I love Daniela´s performance she gave the class disregarding that we were her classmates, she took the control over us and she was confident, perfect tone of voice, awesome attitude kind of serious but at the same time kind and tender. I am quite sure kids will love her when she becomes in a complete teacher, she was in charge to open the class, gave the warm up, and taught us new words related to professions.  I want to highlight one thing that I liked which was the poster pasted on the board, if I am not bad the first activity matching the professions with the correct name, she asked us to past in front to solve them; she took the time to monitor us when we were working in the worksheet as well. The second person to give the other stages was Johanna, she gave the first during activity that
is getting the general idea, this time about the audio, she introduce herself with us and she acted as if we were real children I liked that. She had the confidence, she monitored us and used a well tone of voice I could understand her. The explanation of all the girls were clear and short and that was one more point in favor for them, the energy was excellent performing of her own style calm but taking the control of us. The worksheet she used was great because it was not so easy to solve, I think that making children think, it is an astonishing idea. The last girl was Alexandra she did something that impressed me, she behave completely as if we were children and I mean she even kept quiet while she was teaching, I could note the great confidence that she had in herself, the energy was
appropriated to give a class for children. Her attitude was serious but I did not feel frightened by her even I felt really amused when she ask us to complete the last activities with the puzzle. I think the class would have been a complete success if children had come,
 they would have enjoyed it.

What I did not like: well I got not too much to say in this section, just some little details they have to work on. First the audio was a little difficult regarding about kids, they would probably had problems with it. There some words that they did not explain and the audio contained the past tense as well and we have not taught that tense yet; we only have to be careful with that. The other thing was almost at the end of the class the post stage, we were required to ask the professions of the other classmates and the problems in here was that we did not have an example a model to follow, children would have struggled a little bit with this activity.

Suggestions and possible solutions: for the issues, I can recommend you to write the script of the audio and check it before to record it; we have to bear in mind the structure of it either in grammar, new words and the tenses. What we can do in here is to write it and ask to the teacher to check it. if it would be a suitable audio for children to understand, In the activities we can try to explain and model as much as possible, it does not matter how simply might be the activity but children have to have a clear example of what there are supposed to do. I know that there may be some things we can improve all the time but this is aim of being in this class, make mistakes as fast as we can so that we can learn, improve and advance faster.
I take myself into the improvements because I know how is to prepare an audio for a listening class and it is not as simply as you think; it requires time to prepare it.

Conclusion: All in all, the three girls were awesome in can see that they are finding their own style for teaching. They are shaping themselves from their own mistakes and from the others, now it is time to look forward and improve more, Keep on working at the same pace if you can more, well let’s get into the next level.







5 comments:

  1. Hello David I just read your blog and I am struck by some points that you mention as for example in the part that says that Daniela's performance was very good because she has a good tone of voice and knows how to control the children and in this case to the same classmates she knows how to do the class always well and also that although they were older she treated them as if they were children and in the other part that I agree with you is that we need to improve a little bit more in the audio part I know it was a bit difficult for the children to have not understood it very much, but despite that I feel it was a nice class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello David!! Let me tell you that I agree with all the aspects that you have shared with us on your blog, since the class that our classmates developed was very beautiful and in a very organized way, the materials were very creative, the attitude of each of them was good in front of children (we were their students and they treated us like children) that was great. Of course, they need to be careful with the audio because it was very complicated for the children; Also, they have to model what the children have to do in the activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello David! your advice is very usefull for us as future teachers! As you mentioned, having a good energy during the class is more important than we think, it is for that reason that I try to make an extra effort when I teach, in that way students are more participative and they pay more attention. I agree with your comment about the audio, because we used many tenses which are difficult for children who barely are learning easy vocabulary, we are going to be more carefull next time.Thank you for being there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I couldn't agreewith you more David.
    As you wrote above due to the weather conditions, children couldn't come to the class; however, they taught us a listening class. From my point of view, it was a nice class. The activies were well-planned for children's level even the crossword activity maybe we couldn't notice but, with this crossword task, children would had practice the vocabulary that they learnt previously, besides spelling; they already know the alphabet. I share the same opinion about the audio. I think it was too advanced for children's level due to the reasons that you have written above.
    Besides in the post-listening stage I consider that they had to model how we had to ask and answer to the survey. I have to say that the survey activity was creative, yet they needed to model it as you mentioned above. Overall, it was an excellent class; unfortunately, children couldn't be there, otherwise they would have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello David I agree with you more about the audio was complicated because sometimes I found it hard to understand, I also understand that they were prepared for the children with the material and all although they knew how to develop the class with advanced.

    ReplyDelete

WEEK 10 Vocabulary (Let´s Celebrate)

Teachers: Lidia, SaraĆ­, Paola Hi Guys! Here I am again and this time I had the fortune to be in a vocabulary class with the teachers: L...